As the saying goes, "it takes a village."
Neighborhood House has worked to be a force of good in the community since its founding in 1894 . Originally known as the Free Kindergarten Association, founder Emma K. McVicker envisioned a community hub to provide services to underprivileged children and their families. Early services included free schooling for children, provide resources to low income parents to raise their standard of living, and to provide food and clothing to those most desperately in need.
Additional services were added over the following decades - public bathing rooms, assimilation classes for immigrant families, employment services for women seeking to enter the workforce, a public playground. It also acted as a general neighborhood gathering place for lectures, music, dances, and book and poetry readings.
In the late 1970's, Neighborhood House's board explored a new area of need in the community - adult day care services. This new initiative was at the forefront of the adult day care services movement and has continued to be a leader in the field.
In its more than 120 years, Neighborhood House has always worked to strengthen families and build a greater sense of community, regardless of socio-economic background. Our house holds a powerful legacy, and a brighter future for all who enter.
For more information, or to donate to Neighborhood House, please visit nhutah.org.